Preparing for the Storms of Life
Building a marriage foundation on the rock of Jesus Christ is the only way to withstand the rains, the floods, and the mighty winds that will beat upon our houses (see Matthew 7:24–27; Helaman 5:12). The Lord has promised protection to those who will listen and follow His servants: “For by doing these things the gates of hell shall not prevail against you; yea, and the Lord God will disperse the powers of darkness from before you, and cause the heavens to shake for your good, and his name’s glory” (Doctrine and Covenants 21:6).
Prophets are God’s way of guiding His children through the wilderness and challenges of life (see Amos 3:7). They are His mouthpiece, and He has said, “What I the Lord have spoken, I have spoken, and I excuse not myself; and though the heavens and the earth pass away, my word shall not pass away, but shall all be fulfilled, whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same” (Doctrine and Covenants 1:38).
One of the greatest ways to bless our marriages and our children is to receive the promised blessings of protection, peace, and safety that come from following the Savior.
Here are a few ideas that can help you build your marriage foundation on the rock of Jesus Christ:
- Read or listen to a general conference talk as a couple. Make this a regular part of your weekly habits. Share what impressions you receive and talk about the principles that can strengthen your relationships and family.
- Set a goal to make listening to general conference a priority in your marriage. After conference, have a family council to share thoughts and impressions to act. Make this part of your family traditions.
- Study the life of a prophet by reading his teaching and learning from his marriage and life experiences.
- Prayerfully seek a renewed witness and testimony of the Lord’s anointed servants. Listen to them. Know that the Lord speaks through them and will guide and direct you.
- Renew your witness of the Prophet Joseph Smith and his mission as the prophet of the last dispensation. Strengthen your testimony of the Book of Mormon, the priesthood, temple covenants, and all the ordinances and blessings that came through the restoration of the gospel.
- How have the words of prophets blessed your life?
- How can the foundation of prophets and apostles bless your marriage and relationship?
- How does God “disperse the powers of darkness” as you listen to His servants?